Mp3 Reviews

Indepth song reviews. One song at a time.

Try Netflix For Free.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Top 10 for 2005 on rateyourmusic.com

rateyourmusic.com is one of my favorite sites. check it out. in buildup to my own top 10 list which will be coming together soon here's the top 10 albums from 2005 on rateyourmusic.com (these are by listener ratings.) i'm removing the re-issues and the live albums from this list because... well i just don't think they should really be counted. ! and that's that.

1. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois: This one will probably be on my top 10 as well. A real nice album, although I feel it's a bit too long. 22 tracks? Personally I think I prefer 2004's Seven Swans because it has a bit more of a concise sort of purposeful feel to it, and that's despite the very overt christian references in the lyrics... usually something that would put me off but Stevens can pull it off. Seven Swans is #9 for 2004 btw on rateyourmusic.com

2. Opeth - Ghost Reveries : I've never heard this album.. or this band. from the descriptions of it as "death metal" i'd be surprised if it's up my alley but maybe I'll give it a spin just to be open minded and all.

3. Animal Collective - Feels : I've talked about Animal Collective a bit in this blog... I've not been able to get into them and as of now this album is definitly not going to be in my top 10. But they are intriguing enough that I'm going to be giving them further listens. Some of my favorite bands I took awhile to get into. I do give them credit for being pretty original, I haven't heard anything quite like them before. I just find them so off putting & annoying at times. So far my favorite track I've heard by them is less than a minute long. "College" off of 2004's Sung Tongs.

4. Sigur Ros - Takk : Sigur Ros doing their thing - good as always. Will be in my top 10. Although I have to really be in the mood to listen to Sigur Ros and it's a mood I'm not in that often. They do what they do though, incredibly well. Brilliant live.

5. Paul McCartney - Chaos & Creation In The Back Yard : will be in my top 10. Really great songs. Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich was a great move too. The album has a lot more weight than most (actually probably all) of Mccartney's other solo albums.

6. Andrew Bird - Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production Of Eggs : I haven't heard this yet. I'll try to get on that. Some of the reviews made it sound like something I'd like.

7. Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor : I've never heard of this band before. Described as "metal" in the reviews - not really a genre I'm too interested in. If I get around to giving Opeth a listen, I'll give this one a listen too, I suppose.

8. Deadwing - Porcupine Tree : Haven't heard it.

9. Kate Bush - Aerial : Haven't heard it. Hm. I suppose I should give some of this a listen before making my top 10 list. But from the descriptions they don't really sound like things I would like.

10. The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute : I gave a bit of a listen to this awhile ago - but I believe it was a pre-release version - I've never heard the final release. I liked their last album although it grew a bit stale for me.

...
let's look back at some of the rate your music top albums from the past.

2004 : Arcade Fire - Funeral. I'm sort of determined to hear what everyone else likes about these guys so much. So i'm listening to them again now - and I am enjoying it more than I have in the past. I do like the music - it's just a matter of not being annoyed by the singer I think.

2003 : Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place. Haven't heard this. hm. Another thing to put on my to listen to list!

2002 : Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - now we're talking. absolutely great album.

2001 : Opeth - Blackwater Park - well here's this Opeth again. I should give them a listen I do suppose.

2000 : Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven : GYBE is good and everything but there's no way this should be ahead of the #2 album which is Kid A by Radiohead.

1999 : Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun : yes, probably my favorite Sigur Ros album. Although I'm a firm believer that the #8 album on this list The Flaming Lip's The Soft Bulletin should be top ranked.

my internet is sucking too bad to go back any farther. fuck you verizon.

keep your eager eyes peeled for the magic goblin's top 10 list for 2005.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Salvia Divinorum Incense from. www.herbal-smoke-shop.com click here!