Mp3 Reviews

Indepth song reviews. One song at a time.

Try Netflix For Free.

Friday, February 17, 2006

John Vanderslice "If I Live Or If I Die"

This track is #9 on Vanderslice's 2001 album Time Travel Is Lonely. It's a lovely album and all of the tracks are good but this particular song has really been standing out for me. The words are from a poem by William Blake called "the fly" :

Little Fly,
Thy summer's play
My thoughtless hand
Has brushed away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance,
And drink, and sing,
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength and breath,
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly.
If I live,
Or if I die.
---

The song is based around a very cute piano riff and handclaps. The vocals are smooth and pretty. There's some strange electronic bleeps and bloops that really add to the atmosphere. The attention to detail on this song and really on the whole album is great. If you are the type that really enjoys thoughtful production with lots of interesting things going on - this album is for you. I've also got Pixel Revolt - Vanderslice's latest album but I'd get this one first if I was you. Time Travel Is Lonely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Salvia Divinorum Incense from. www.herbal-smoke-shop.com click here!